The Dark Moon (also known as the Balsamic moon) is the moon phase 3 – 4 days before the New Moon when the moon isn’t visible in the night sky.
This moon phase occurs 10 ½ to 14 days after the Full Moon and is commonly known as a time for rest when magick and spells aren’t done.
Some practitioners say that the energy of the moon is volatile and somewhat “void” and advise that no magickal work be done during the Dark Moon.
However, some practitioners use this time to work with the Dark Goddess, the Crone and to perform spells and magick that honour ancestors, spirits and to perform hexes, curses, and also breaking hexes, curses and strings of bad luck.
The Dark Moon is the final last “push” to banish and expel whatever it is that you want to get rid of in your life.
The waning moon is the optimal time which the last phase of the waning moon is one last “purge” to rid the self of unwanted things, such as habits, bad luck, behaviour or people.
Below is a tarot spread that works with the theme of the Dark Moon.
Feel free to arrange the cards in any way that you feel works for you.
I’m not particular about arranging cards in certain patterns (or telling others how to do so.)
As long as you can remember what card is for what question, you’re good to go!
Dark Moon Tarot Spread
- What will end and be put to remission or rest at the dark moon?
- What will re-emerge at the new moon?
- What does my shadow self want me to be aware of and acknowledge?
- What do I need to bring to the surface and face?
- What do I need to release and let go at the new moon in order to start anew?
- What do I need to resolve?
- What do I need to heal?
- How can the energy of the dark moon help me?
- What can the aspect of the Crone/Dark Goddess archetype teach me?
- What transformation am I currently undergoing or will I undergo?
For more information about the dark moon and how to work with this moon phase, be sure to read Working with the Dark Moon.
If you’d like to do a reading using the other moon phases, check out the Moon Phases Tarot Spread that includes five moon phases.
Want to know what that Dark Moon’s message is for you?
Request a Dark Moon Tarot Reading to see how the Dark Moon can help you heal, transform and resolve.
Until next time!
Stacey & the Tarot Pugs
Posts to Read: