Persephone is the Greek goddess of the Underworld and the goddess of Spring, also known as Kore.
At the Autumn Equinox, the season begins to change and the veil between the worlds grows thinner leading up to Samhain and the marking of Persephone beginning her decent into the Underworld.
At the Vernal Equinox, the end of winter begins and springtime which marks the return of Persephone from the Underworld.
Persephone is known for her story of her kidnapping by Hades, the god of the Underworld to become his wife leaving Persephone’s mother, Demeter, in distress about not knowing where she went.
Hekate, the goddess of witchcraft, necromancy and spirits, assists Demeter after finally hearing Demeter frantically searching for Persephone and guides her to the Underworld to find Persephone.
During this time, six months have passed and it is learned that Persephone had consumed six pomegranate seeds – the food of the Underworld/Dead – which renders her captive to remain in the Underworld.
However, after pleas from Demeter to Zeus, it is determined that as a compromise Persephone shall remain in the Underworld for six months of the year and the other half of the year, she may return to the Earth.
The story of Persephone shows us how we must adapt to situations in our lives and make the most of them. That we can take charge of the situation that can’t be changed and use it to our advantage to make ourselves stronger.
Persephone takes on the role as Queen of the Underworld and makes the best of what she is given due to the circumstances.
This Persephone Tarot Spread can be done:
- at the Autumn Equinox or Autumn season
- at Spring Equinox or Spring season
- to take your power back in difficult situations
- to become more adaptable
- to make the most of what is happening in your life
- when you need words of encouragement through challenging times.
Persephone Tarot Spread
- What must I acknowledge that I’m unable to change in my life?
- How can I take back my power in my life again despite the things I can’t change?
- How can I use the challenges in my life to my advantage?
- What must I give up in order to gain something else in return?
- How can I make the most of what is happening in my life?
- Words of encouragement from Persephone.
Until next time!
Share on Pinterest:
Images designed in Canva.